What is 200 words anyway?

There was a time when the thought of writing 200 words seemed like a monumental task. I can remember sitting in school and hearing that an assignment had to be a certain number of words long and wondering how many words I could write on a given topic.

Well, those days are far far behind me. Today the thought of writing 200 words makes me happy. I wish I could complete an assignment in that short a time. When I was in journalism, it was stories of 500-600 words (sometimes many more.) Now it is more a matter of completion than a matter of how many words there are.

200 words to me, with all the writing I have done and still do, is nothing. It is actually a pleasant idea. 200 words is nothing. It is barely enough space to fully explain an idea fully. When I write one of these every day, I sometimes post even if something feels a little unfinished. It’s a great exercise in getting to the point. When I review, I sometimes go on for a long time and end up mucking up my meaning. So keeping these to 200 words, give or take, is really a way to help me get to the point faster.

Assuming I do the bare minimum of 200 words in each of these posts (which has yet too happen) and I do it for all 40+ days of Lent (44 to be precise,) I will have written 8,800 words come Easter.

Now that is a lot of words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Blogger Template by Blogcrowds