Today I am going to let you in on a little secret.

I knew before I graduated that I really did not want to go into journalism. What really did it was my internship. Maybe it was the fact that I sat at a desk and wrote obituaries, typed up letters to the editor or any of the other mindless work I did. Maybe it was the fact that it was an hour and a half bus ride (both ways) to get there. Maybe it was because every night before I had to go, I barely got any sleep. Whatever it was, I knew before I was handed my “diploma” that I was not going to pursue that career path.

Now I have to get up twice a week, earlier than I did for my internship, to go to the school where I am in an actual classroom. Here’s the thing. I sleep well and I enjoy everything I am doing. The school is much closer so the trip there is not a factor.

I wish I had an experience like this earlier in my journalism studies. If I had known what it was really like I would have done something different. It actually probably would have been teaching. I don’t think anyone knows this but when I was switching my major from forensic chemistry, my two choices came down to journalism and teaching. Sadly I chose the former.

It is amazing how much enjoying what you are doing is the key to figuring out what you really want to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Blogger Template by Blogcrowds