On my train trip back home to Rochester, I was reading an article in “Entertainment Weekly” about “Lost” and its legacy. The article talked about why all the “Lost” copycats have failed.

The big thing mentioned was that at the time “Lost” premiered, there had been nothing like it at any point before. The problem came when they tried to replicate the formula and get the same success.


I have to completely agree with this. “Lost” was and still is unique. It is more intense viewing than “24.” To watch “Lost” is to devote more than one season to it. It is a 6-year story. You cannot watch it on and off during the year. It needs to be viewed every week and followed closely.

Other shows have tried and failed, most horribly. If the pilot of a show cannot grab the viewer’s attention, the show is doomed.
“Lost” had that. The pilot of “Lost” is one of the best I have ever seen, and trust me; I have seen a lot of pilots. To this day, it is one of the best two hours to television I have ever seen.

Most of all, it is the writing that separates “Lost” from the pretenders. The writing is amazing. Yes, there are a ton of questions asked and they take FOREVER to answer them, but they payoff is worth it. The quality of the drama and the mystery in the writing keeps the show a top the pile of serialized television.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Blogger Template by Blogcrowds