"Previously on..."

You know what really bugs me? The “previously on” that is show before most shows. It just points to how dumb most studios think the people who watch their show are.

For some shows I understand it. “Lost,” “24” or other shows where there is one detailed storyline each season, I think that it is needed. When you call back to something that happened in the first episode in the twelfth, it helps to have this “hey, remember this?” moment.

One show I started watching this year is “Life Unexpected.” It’s a good show (despite being on the CW) but there is no need to remind viewers of things from the previous episode. Especially when there are exposition scenes explaining what the “previously on” already did.

How stupid do they think we are? Does the American public have that short of an attention span? Maybe I am the exception, but even with shows like “Lost” I don’t need that previously on. I understand all the callbacks the show makes in any given episode.
Hell, I have ADD and my attention span is apparently better than what the studios think that John Q. Public has.

I am not anti this bit of filler, but I just wish that the viewers would get a bit more credit. We know more than you might think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Blogger Template by Blogcrowds