I have not posted in a very long time, and with the way this semester is going, I will be lucky if I post much before the summer movies start coming out, but since I am home and have some free time, I figured that I would post something I have been thinking about for a while.


I don’t know if you have seen the trailer for “Clash of the Titans,” but if you have not, I embedded above. When I first watched it I call tell you that I have not been so excited for a movie in a while. Now, it is not the plot or the actors involved that has me looking forward to its April 2nd release date. It is my history with the content. Greek mythology has been something I have loved for a very long time. It is the reason why I love to write and by extension it is the reason why I once wanted to be a journalist/movie critic.

I got my start writing because of Greek mythology. In 7th grade a friend of mine handed me a highlighter yellow composition notebook and told me the story he had in mind. (I still have the notebook by the way). The story was called “The Quest,” and the plot revolved around a group of Greek gods called The Gods in Gold. They went on a quest to rescue Odysseus who was captured by a Cyclopes. Needless to say once we finished writing that there was more ideas that followed. In my closet right now there is a stack of about 14 other notebooks that he gave me to write.


It is not just my history with writing that has me excited about it. It really is the content. The genre of mythology is ripe with imagery fit for the big screen. Monsters, gods, super human feats, epic battles. The list goes on and on.

As something I love and have a lot of knowledge of, I am hoping that his movie, combined with the release of “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lighting Thief,” means more Greek mythology will make it to the big screen. Before I was a Joss Whedon fanboy, I was a Greek mythology fanboy and finally I get to see it on the big screen.

I am trying not to get my hopes up because if I will either love “Clash” or I will hate it — there is no middle ground for me.

With my busy schedule, I have very little time to go see a movie, but this is one I am going to make time for. Even with all the movies coming out that have piqued my interest, this is at the top of that list for so many reasons. I just hope the rest of the world makes it the hit I hope it will be — the 7th grader in me is more than ready for a new trend to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Blogger Template by Blogcrowds