The last time I reviewed a CD, I trashed it. It was a lot of fun, probably the most fun I have had while writing a review. This time thought it is different. I absolutely love this CD. Not only is the first CD that I have bought in years (with iTunes and other less legal means there is no need to go out and buy a CD) and it was worth it. The band is Band from TV and their first album “Hoggin’ All the Covers” is simply amazing.

I could give you details about the band, but instead, since I am digging this video thing, I will let Greg Grunberg explain:


This is not your typical band. The band members are actors who are using this as a way to raise money for charity. The band consists of drummer Greg Grunberg (Mind reader Matt Parkman on “Heroes,”) pianist Hugh Laurie (House from “House”) James Denton (of “Desperate Housewives” fame,) on guitar and singers Bob Guiney (from “The Batchlor”,) and Bonnie Somerville who gained fame as a singer with her song “Winding Road” on the soundtrack for “Garden State.”

These are not just actors who are doing this just for more fame. They are great at it and all the money from this CD/DVD goes to the charities they support.

The highlights of “Hoggin’ All The Covers” are many. I love every track on the album. Each shows the talent that these actors have. The songs reflect a range of tastes and styles ranging from country to rock to R&B.
Somerville has an amazing voice. It shines in her renditions of “Piece of My Heart” and “Lean on Me.” The latter, showcasing Laurie on piano, is one of the best on the album and one of the best versions I have ever heard.

Some of the other highlights are Laurie’s “Goodnight Irene,” and Denton’s “Papa Loved Mama” and the closing track “Shake Your Tailfeather”

All the tracks are great. Each shows just how talented they are. They are having fun and you can hear that in the songs and the banter between songs. It is a rare thing for me to buy a CD and this one was worth it. I know the money I spent is going to some good causes. On the DVD that accompanies the CD, there is a feature where Grunberg talks passionately about his experience with autism and why he chose to support Autism Speaks.

Rarely do I buy a CD, mostly because there is nothing worth listening to, so when I do it has to be something special. This is worth it and it makes it even better that it goes to charity and not to paying for a new gold plated toilet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment