I had fun doing this last year so I figured why not do it this year too. Below you will find my list of the top 10 movies of 2008. This is not a list of the best movies of the year mind you, it is is simply the best of movies I have reviewed. I have seen others, but I have not reviewed them. (Namely the amazing "In Bruges" and a smaller but still very good movie called "Red Belt" both of which are worth your time). Sadly, I also do not have the chance to see all the really good movies that come out. There are a bunch out now that I really want to see, but I will just have to wait until DVD for them. But let's face it, how many lists can you see the same movies on over and over before you get sick of seeing them. Look at this as your chance to see a unique look at the movies of the year.

10) Definitely, Maybe-This was my surprise movie of the year. I was not expecting to like this movie this much. It was more than your standard romantic comedy. It was not a will he end up with they girl story, it was a which girl will he end up with story. When I saw it I could not believe how much I liked this movie. It takes a lot for me to honestly enjoy a romantic comedy and this did it incredibly well.

9) Tropic Thunder-This one was tough to place. I this was really funny, but not as funny as the other comedy residing higher on this list. It was a satirical look at Hollywood and, ironically some of the actors are guilty of being the people they were mocking (Jack Black). I loved Robert Downey Jr as the method actor who gets his skin dyed so he can play a black man. He even stayed in character for the commentary on the DVD (which I have not heard yet). The one negative thing I have to say about it is that I think they thought the movie was funnier than it really was.

8) Cloverfield-I know people who hated this movie. I liked it for the unusual filming style: shaky hand-held camera. The idea of having a monster movie NOT be about the monster was a great idea and they pulled it off really well. If it had been filmed the traditional way, the suspense would have been gone. Yes, my neck was sore for a few days after because I kept straining it..I guess I was hoping that I could move the camera just by moving my head. Apparently that does not work.

7) The Bank Job-This is proof that Jason Statham can act, he just needs to pick the right movie. It was one of the better heist movies that I have seen. It was not about the heist, it was about what happened after. Not many heist movies take less than half the movie to show the heist in progress. On a personal note, this was my first review that was published in a real paper and while I was not a big fan of the review I wrote, it was still very cool to see it published.

6) Forgetting Sarah Marshall-The funniest movie I saw all year and, at the time, it was the funniest I had seen in a very long time. Jason Segal starred in and wrote a very funny movie that had some heart. The standout was Russell Brand as Aldus Snow. He was a cool idiot. He essentially stole Peter's girlfriend and yet Peter cannot help but like the guy. He is just so cool that Peter likes him even though he has every reason to hate him. Yes the movie was raunchy, but it had a point. It was not just about cursing and pushing the envelope, there is a little heart behind it. It makes this list because it was the funniest movie I saw this year and I actually went to see it twice in the theater. It was just as funny the second time as it was the first. The humor may not be for everyone, but it was just what I needed after a semester of so-so movies.

5) Iron Man-This was the best comic book movie since "Batman Begins" and would have been the best comic book movie of the year were it not for "The Dark Knight." Robert Downey Jr. was the perfect choice for Tony Stark. The origin story was one of the best in a while. The action was good, but the final battle was anticlimactic. The sequel has been given the go-ahead and will be out in about two years and I cannot wait.

4) WALL-E-Pixar does it again. They made a movie about a lonely robot with virtually no human voices and they made it interesting and fantastic in its simplicity. There is something sweet about the robot who has developed a personality and just wants someone to keep him company. If you read too much into it, the movie may seem like environmentalist propaganda, but that is a stretch. It is a kids movie. Do you really think that kids are going to understand that message? They are too busy watching a robot and laughing at his actions to realize any kind of message.

3) Slumdog Millionaire-This and the top two are hard to place. All are worthy of being put at No.1, but, for reasons I will explain, this is takes a respectable third. It is the ultimate underdog story. No one believes in this kid. He should not even be on the show, but destiny seems to want him to win the top prize. I loved the way it showed the question and how and where in his hard life he learned the answer. The character development was another high point--especially Jamal's brother, Salim. I had heard so many good things about this that I was worried it was not going to live up to the hype and happily I was wrong. It is both the classic underdog story as well as a classic love story and yet was more. Only one other time have I ever said "go see this movie." I don't like saying it because it takes away from the review. This time I have to implore you-Go see this movie.

2)The Curious Case of Benjamin Button-This is a new edition to the list. I saw it and I absolutely loved it. I placed "Slumdog" at number three because as much as I loved it, I was slightly disappointed. "Benjamin Button" on the other hand does not. It is close to three hours long and does not feel like it. It moves fast enough to keep it interesting, but still has great character development. The theme of the movie is even more uplifting than "Slumdog's" victorious underdog. What "Benjamin Button" tells you is that it is never too late to do start over and do what you want. All through the movie was see Benjamin doing things he wants and enjoys. He works on a tug boat and travels the world. He makes the most of his life no matter the age he looks or really is. While the full review may not be up until 09, this had to be added because it deserves recognition.

1) The Dark Knight-With out a doubt this had to be my number one. I was blown away by Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker and that is why it is at No. 1. I saw it in IMAX and loved it even more. It will get some Oscar nominations and I hope it gets some wins. Even with the pall of Ledger's death looming, the performance and the movie are brilliant. It has broken box office records, has racked up nearly one billion world wide and proves that a comic book movie can be smart. This is what happens when you get a smart script and great actors for the roles. I hope this gets at least a nomination for Best Picture and had better be a win for Ledger. This would legitimize comic book movies and mean that, when done right, can be more than just a box office success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment