When Monday morning comes I will be facing a whole new world. It will be new and scary. It will be a dark world full of unknown dangers and things that go bump in the night. I will be stranded at sea with no hope of rescue. It will be as if I have crashed on a mysterious island full of “others” polar bears and a black smoke monster. It is something I have not had to face for a very long time. It is my life after “Lost.”

The last new episode before the series finale aired last night and it was bitter sweet. I love this show and will continue to for as long as I live. Last night thought, I had a thought as I walked up the steps to my friend’s apartment. I don’t want to watch the finale. It means that there will be no new “Lost” ever again. Yet, I am dying for answers to questions I have had for many years. Come 11:30 p.m. on Sunday night, “Lost” will be over.

Don’t get me wrong. I will still watch the show on DVD and theorize with my friends about just what the hell is going on, but it will be different. For the past 5 years (I did not get into the show until season 2) I have been there every week, eyes glued to the screen, mind racing with theories, anger and confusion flowing through me mixed with wonder and amazement. Now what do I have to fill the void caused by the absence of “Lost?”

Looking at the current television climate, not much. “Lost” has truly changed my television viewing habits. It has raised my expectations of what a TV show can be. To be honest, nothing has come close to matching it. I have stopped watching more shows because they did not give me what “Lost” did. I have loved being immersed in the fandom. At one point I listened to four weekly podcasts about the show, now because of time constraints it is down to two. I have visited websites and read countless articles dedicated to the show. There is nothing I am currently watching that merits this kind of attention.

So come Monday morning things are going to be different. I trust the writers enough to know that the finale will be amazing. Whether I like it or not, it is guaranteed to be something worth watching. I have faith that I will be satisfied with the ending—there is very little in the show I have not liked (Nikki and Palo, the episode with Bai Ling.) They would have to try very hard to mess it up now. I know that on Monday morning, some fans will be angry, some will be glad with how it ended up. One thing if for certain, we will still be theorizing and I would not have the show end any other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment