There are a lot of movies that I watch that I do not review up on this site. For some it is a time thing. Either I don’t have it, or a lot of time has passed since the release. Think about it, if I reviewed Astaire and Roger’s “Swing Time” would it really matter, the movie has been out for a very long time. Then there are movies I see that compel me to write. Something about the movie strikes a chord with me and I find myself with an overwhelming need to let people know about it. This would be one of those times.

“Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About his Father” is a 2008 documentary made by Kurt Kuenne to remember his friend Andrew Bagby who was murdered in November of 2001 by his girlfriend Shirley. It starts out as a way to make one more movie with his friend, but turned into something more when Shirley says she is pregnant with Andrews child. For Kurt it becomes more than way to memorialize his friend. It becomes away to have the child know who his father was.

It is filled with tearful friends remembering Andrew as a great guy who loved to joke around and loved life. As a viewer you get a great portrait of who this man was through the people who loved him.

It also focuses on the court case and the failure of the Canadian government to keep a killer behind bars. Andrew’s parents, Kathleen and David move to Canada to fight to get custody of Zachary, Andrew’s son. This is where much of the drama is. It goes thought the delays and demands made by Shirley in allowing Kathleen and David to see their grandson. Kathleen and David recall all of their experiences in dealing with this woman who is clearly unstable. It sounds weird to say this but I want to stay away for spoilers because there are some crazy and incredibly sad things that transpire during this documentary.

If you are not touched by this movie, check your pulse. I watched it on this morning and it still affects me now at 9:30 p.m. I am sad, disgusted and angry at the things I saw and what Shirley made Andrew’s parents go through. I am appalled at the Canadian government and what they allowed to happen by their negligence.

It is one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It does start out as a tribute to Andrew, but once the child is introduced, it becomes much more. With some documentaries I can get board at parts and my mind will wonder, but I was glued to the screen. See it and I can guarantee you will be moved.

10 out of 10 (just so you know how much I think you should see it)
Not Rated, but there is cursing
95 min

0 Comments:

Post a Comment