“American Beauty” is widely considered a great movie. I was not that impressed with it. In fact, I was so unimpressed with it, I have not seen anything else by the director, Sam Mendes. Well, “Away We Go” has me reconsidering my opionon.

When Burt (John Krasinski) and Verona (Maya Rudolph) find them expecting their first child, they travel across the country visiting friends and family to find the best place to start their family. Through their travels they begin to discover what makes a family and what makes a place a home.

As much as I love the explosions and special effects of the big budget movies, I love movies like this just as much. Great characters exploring just who they really are can make the most riveting movies.

John Krasinski is best known for his role as Jim on “The Office.” He can handle comedy with great ease, but as he proved in this role, he can also do drama just as easily. Burt and Verona are not married, but Burt keeps asking her. She does not see it as necessary, they love each other and that is enough. There is a scene late in the movie where they talk about it. He wants to get married incase something happens to one of them. They go back and forth on marriage and their relationship.

The one person I have to talk about is Maya Rudolph. She is best known for her time on “Saturday Night Live,” and was very funny. I had no idea how much of an actress she could be. There is a scene near the very end of the movie that just proves how good she is. She tells Burt a story from her childhood and what home was to her. It was a great scene and I will never doubt her talent as an actress again.

I consider movies like this a detox from the larger movies. It is a great little film that is well worth the time and money. I am in love with this movie. It takes a lot for me to fall for a movie like I have for this one. Soemtimes it comes back to bite me in the ass (“Juno” lost a lot of its luster once I saw it on DVD), but I have a good feeling about this one. The performances are great, the writing is stellar and it made me reconsider my thoughts on Sam Mendes.

8 out of 10
Rated R for language and some sexual content.
98 min

0 Comments:

Post a Comment