April Fools Article #1

Starting in the fall, Buffalo State College will introduce MUS 320 Advanced Rhyming Techniques taught by Dr. Joaquin Phoenix.

"We are thrilled to have Dr. Phoenix come and teach at our college." Buffalo State President Muriel Howard said in Tuesday's press conference. "It is not often that we are lucky enough to get a professor with so much experience and acclaim to come teach our students."

“It is an honor to be here in Buffalo, the heart of the national rap scene. I hope to pass all I know on to the students here,” Phoenix said.

MUS 320 will be an intensive study of what words rhyme and how to use them. “The main focus of the class will be to teach the skills to rap and be as un-whitey as possible,” Phoenix. “It will be a very hands on class. Each class will feature rap battles and all tests will be given in rhyme.”

The collaboration between Phoenix and Buffalo State began earlier this year when Phoenix retired from acting to peruse his music career. “I wanted to be more than just an artist, I wanted to show that I was more than just a world-class rapper. After that I got my teaching degree from a guy selling them out of his car and became a teacher. All I had to do was to find a place to teach.”

Phoenix came to Buff State because of the “rap scene.” He sees Buffalo as the hub of the rap music world. “So many great acts have come out of this city.” When asked for specifics Phoenix said, “If I have to tell you, you don’t need to know.”

Student reaction has been mixed. “I am super excited to take the class,” said Kip Stenson, a senior business major, “I was going to graduate in May, but since I heard about this class, I dropped a few classes so I could come back in the fall.”

“It’s all a stunt for his career,” said Jack Shepard, a junior communication major. “He just wants publicity for whatever his next crappy movie is making.”

“If being able to sing like Johnny Cash is all you need to be considered a teacher, than I must be doing it wrong,” said Alice Thompson a junior elementary education major.

The decision to allow the former actor to teach is not without controversy. Some of music department faculty have voiced outrage. “There is no reason why that man should be a teacher here,” said one professor who wanted to remain anonymous.
“Just because the man has a few Oscar nominations does not mean he can be a teacher. It is just a ploy by the administration to get more money from the alumni.”

“We chose Dr. Phoenix because he brings a new and interesting perspective to the school. Why anyone would think that we make these choices with more than the good of the students in mind is just wrong,” Howard said.

The music department has started petitions online to stop Phoenix from teaching in the fall. They have made a group on Facebook and even started a Twitter account to tell the student population why this is a bad idea.

“We are hoping that the students will read what we post and understand that this is a waste of a class and that it is a decision motivated purely by money. The students are being taken advantage of and it has to stop,” the unnamed professor said.

Whatever the reason maybe for Phoenix’s appointment as professor, students are taking notice of the bold choice. “I came here because the teaching program is one of the best in the state, but now I am changing my major to music. I think Dr.
Phoenix has the potential to be an amazing professor,” said Suzie Lizenburg an undecided freshmen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment