And the Oscar goes to...

I am really looking forward to the Oscars on Sunday purely because I have seen a lot of the movies that were nominated. When it comes to the Oscars and picking the winners, there is a lot that one has to keep in mind. The movies/performances that you love, what the popular opinion is and what the Academy is likely to pick (and that opens up a different thought process that is more and more complicated the deeper you go.) I kept things simple this year and just picked the major categories-though it should be noted that I believe “The Social Network” will win every writing Oscar it is nominated for.

Best Supporting Actress

Nominees: Amy Adams in “The Fighter,” Melissa Leo in “The Fighter,” Haliee Steinfeld in “True Grit,” Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom,” Helena Bonham Carter in “The Kings Speech.”

Favorite: Everything I have heard tells me that Melissa Leo will win for “The Fighter”

Who Should Win: Haliee Steinfeld in “True Grit.” I honestly think that she is the best part of the movie. I was so impressed with her performance. She holds her own on the screen opposite Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon, two amazing actors.

My Pick: I am going to go out on a limb and pick Steinfeld. Of the performances I saw this past year, hers was the most demanding and most impressive.


Best Supporting Actor

Nominees:
Christian Bale in “The Fighter,” John Hawkes in “Winter's Bone” Jeremy Renner in “The Town,” Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right,” Geoffrey Rush in “The King's Speech”

Favorite: This would appear to be Christian Bale’s year to finally take home the little golden man.

Who Should Win: This is a toss up between Bale and Geoffrey Rush. Both deliver amazing performances and are deserving the win.

My Pick: I have to go with Christian Bale. As awesome as Rush was, Bale’s performance was even more so. He transformed himself into Dicky and I would be shocked to see him not win.


Best Actress

Nominees: Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right,” Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole,” Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone,” Natalie Portman in “Black Swan,” Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine.”

Favorite: Natalie Portman is going to win.

Who Should Win: Have I not made my point—Natalie Portman WILL WIN

My Pick: It is pretty clear who my pick it.


Best Actor

Nominees: Javier Bardem in “Biutiful,” Jeff Bridges in “True Grit,” Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network,” Colin Firth in “The King's Speech,” James Franco in “127 Hours”

Favorite: Colin Firth is getting all the praise and rightfully so.

Who Should Win: I really think James Franco gave the better performance. He had to carry “127 Hours” and it could have been a really bad movie if he had not delivered.

My Pick: I have to go with Firth. His performance is the kind that the Academy loves and the award is all but his at this point.

Best Animated Picture

Nominees: “How to Train Your Dragon,” “The Illusionist,” “Toy Story 3”

Favorite: “Toy Story 3” will continue Pixar’s winning streak.

Who Should Win: My love for “How To Train Your Dragon” is very well known. I have professed it to everyone who will listen—family, friends, strangers on the street.

My Pick: It kills me to say so, but “Toy Story 3” will win. I re-watched it recently and that last scene is powerful stuff to watch. Though I hope I get this one wrong and “How To Train Your Dragon” knocks Pixar down a peg.

Best Director

Nominees: Darren Aronofsky for “Black Swan,” David O. Russell for “The Fighter,” Tom Hooper for “The King's Speech,” David Fincher for “The Social Network,” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen for “True Grit”

Favorite: History says that the winner of best picture will be the movie that wins best director. It would have to be between Hooper and Fincher.

Who Should Win: Since Christopher Nolan was robbed of a nomination, Darren Aronofsky deserves to win instead.

My Pick: David Fincher, hands down. The directing of “Kings Speech” was not as good as “Social Network.” Fincher has a style and he lends that to make this the second best directed movie behind “Inception”

Best Picture

Nominees: “Black Swan,” “The Fighter,” “Inception,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “The King's Speech,” “127 Hours,” “The Social Network,” “Toy Story 3,” “True Grit,” “Winter's Bone”

Favorite: It is really a two horse race between “The Social Network” and “The King’s Speech.” What it will come down to is does the Academy want to go with the same old movie they do every year like “The Kings Speech” or do they want to go for the “hip” movie that the younger audience is watching and gain some shred of credibility with that crowd and pick “The Social Network.”

Who Should Win: “Black Swan” was the best movie I saw out of the bunch—just look at my rankings located right below this post. “Inception” was also a masterful piece of filmmaking. It does not stand a chance of winning because the Academy is not ready to give the biggest award of the year to that type of movie.

My Pick: It is a toss up really between “The Kings Speech” and “The Social Network.” Gun to my head I would have to say “The Kings Speech.” It is a safer pick for the Academy to make.


Those are my picks. Lets see how they hold up come late Sunday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment