I know that I said there are four shows I feel passionately about, but there is one show I can safely say is my favorite. There may be four shows I watch when they are on, but only one I will never miss, if I can help it. It is a show I both love and hate at the same time. That show is “Lost,” and watching the season five premiere reminded me why I love this show so much.

I wish I could give a coherent plot synopsis, but my head is still reeling from last night’s episode. I can tell you that the Oceanic 6 (those who left the island last year) have to go back to stop the bad things that are happening to those who were left behind.

Those who are still there are experiencing shifts in time. When Ben (Michael Emerson) turned the frozen donkey wheel, it unlocked the island from time. It is jumping years ahead and years back in time. No one knows how to stop it or when the next time jump will happen.

The best thing to happen to “Lost” was that it was given an end date. There is a story they wanted to tell and now they can tell it on their terms. There will be two more seasons, including this one. I think these are going to be for the fans. The story structure has been one character with a flashback or flash-forward. That looks to be completely gone. They jump from the present to the island (WHENEVER that is),and to the events three years earlier when they left.

The creators of this show give their viewers more credit than other shows do. They know that their fans will be able to follow the new story structure. It will not be easy and I am fairly certain my head will explode before the season is over, but I love what they are doing.

I have a very odd relationship with “Lost.” I want do not want to see it end, but I want to see how it ends. Now that the end is sight, I am more and more excited to see what the end will be. There are questions I want answered and cannot wait to get the answers I seek.

So what makes the show so great?

Glad you asked. The writing, the storytelling, the acting, the music…in short everything. The storytelling is the most unique thing on television, the writing is smart and keeps you engaged, the acting is superb and has gone without any major award wins. There is not one thing I can honestly say I hate.

In closing I just want to say one thing, Watch “Lost!”

“Lost” airs on ABC at 9 p.m. on Wednesday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment